Svetvincenat – Sanvincenti:”Morosini – Grimani castle“
Svetvincenat, also named Savicenta, is situated in the central part of Istria on the road Vodnjan - Zminj. It is a small medieval lowland town with a beautiful castle. Its name derives from the St. Vincent, a Hispanic martyr that lived in the 3rd century. Today Svetvincenat is famous for various cultural events that are organized in it.
- located 25 kilometres from Smrikve
- it has almost unique examples of Renaissance architecture in Istria
- it is famous today in Istria for the ethno-jazz festival and the International Festival of Dances and non-Verbal Theatre
- not to be missed: Morosini - Grimani castle, the main square, the Parish Church of Mary's Annunciation, the frescoes paintings of the Church of St. Vincent and the Church of St. Catherine
- events not to be missed: “Ivanje” on St. John the Baptist day, June 24th, when the most beautiful Istrian goat is elected; the ethno-jazz festival that is hold at the beginning of July, the International Festival of Dances and non-Verbal Theatre that is hold at the end of July
You can visit Svetvincent any time during the year because of its cultural and architectonic beauty or you can visit it during some cultural events that happens often in this lovely town.
Every year, at the end of July, Svetvincenat hosts the International Festival of Dances and non-Verbal Theatre. The conceptual bases of the event are performances of various dance forms where movement is the essence: street theatre, classical dance shows, performances, art circus, physical theatre, etc. This tradition could create from Svetvincenat the international dance centre.
At the beginning of July, the town also hosts ethno-jazz festival. This festival over the years has become another important international gathering.
On 24th of June you can enjoy Ivanje when the contest for the most beautiful goat of Istria take place. Goat is one of the symbols of Istria and this attractive event is organized on the feast day of St. John the Baptist, popularly called Ivanje.
Apart from choosing the most beautiful goat of Istria, there are also other contest categories like: the most original goat, the most likeable goat, and there is also the contest category of the Mister goat. During the event you can enjoy the folk festival and traditional music.
There are other events in Autumn that are worth to be visited with traditional Istrian music, new wine, and hand made Istrian souvenirs. In the early Autumn there is a fair of the hand made Istrian souvenirs and in the late Autumn there is a feast of the new wine.
SVETVINCENAT – VIRTUAL TOUR
Svetvincenat is nice to be visited because of its nice buildings but also for its particular square. This square is among the most beautiful squares in Istria and also the castle Morosini Grimani is an impressive building.
On the square there are several Renaissance buildings and Svetvincenat is quite unique in Istria for the presence of the Renaissance architecture.