Bale – Valle: “Bembo – Soardo palace“
Bale is another lovely, picturesque, stone built, Istrian town located on a hilltop named Mon Perin, half way between Vodnjan and Rovinj. Giacomo Casanova is among the most famous visitors of Bale. He visited few times Bembo-Soardo palace and it is assumed that he might had a love affair with the owner of the Castle.
- located 20 kilometres from Smrikve
- dominant is Venetian architecture
- it is known that Giacomo Casanova visited few times Bembo-Soardo palace
- not to be missed: visit of the old town, Bembo – Soardo palace, frescoes paintings in the Church of St. Anthony the Abot and in the Church of the Holy Spirit, the interior of the Church of Virgin Mary Visits, old Church of St. Elias and several kilometres outside Bale towards north the Bembo family property (Stancija Bembo)
- Istria from Smrikve aims to promote Istrian cultural heritage... Slow Travel, Slow Food and Sustainable Living... and in this section dedicated to Bale-Valle’s heritage you may note the permament virtual “Slow Travel Exhibition” of selected families and events worth visiting... you will find recommended accommodations, restaurants, wine and olive oil to taste, event to attend... :)
Bale is not far a way from the sea and few years ago in Porto Colone Cove Bay a very rich site of fossils belonging to several species of dinosaurs was found. Very interesting are the bones of brontosaur, a gigantic reptile of the dinosaur family, which is one of the rare paleonthological findings in Europe.
There is a plane to create a paleonthological park and museum. Today the findings can be seen on the first floor of Municipal palace.
BALE – VIRTUAL TOUR
The town nucleus is a complex of stone buildings bearing elements of Venetian Gothic features, circular streets, town gates and five churches. There are several ways to enter and visit the old town but I would advise you to enter the town from the eastern side.
From the eastern side you have one of the most beautiful views towards the old town. In the south eastern part of the village there is a cemetery Church of St. Anthony the Abot from the 15th century that has a form of a cross and hosts some Gothic frescoes. You can reach this church by car and than turn back towards the old town nucleus where you can leave the car and start your visit.
If you leave the car in the southern part of the old town, enter the first circular street that goes towards left and few meters inside the circular street you will note again on your left side a stone made roof of the Church of the Holy Spirit from the 15th century. This church also hosts some Gothic frescoes.
If you continue to follow the street, after another twenty meters, you will be in the most interesting square of Bale with several representative buildings. The most impressive one is Bembo – Soardo medieval castle with its residential part built in the 15th century.