Motovun – Montona: “An old and charming Istrian hilltop town“
Motovun is an ancient picturesque town surrounded by medieval walls. It is located on a 277 meters high hilltop, dominating the Mirna river valley. This most beautiful medieval town in the Istrian hinterland is today famous for its International Film Festival organized every summer at the end of July.
- located 64 kilometres from Smrikve
- dominant is Venetian architecture
- in its history it was very important wood production area for Venice and today is famous for truffles and good wine
- not to be missed: visit of the old town and the walk around the walls, new gates tower, ex - Municipal palace, downside square with loggia and the upside square with the Parish Church of St. Stephen and Hotel Kastel – ex Polesini palace.
- events not to be missed: International Film Festival that is organized in the last few years at the end of July or beginning of August.
- Istria from Smrikve aims to promote Istrian cultural heritage... Slow Travel, Slow Food and Sustainable Living... and in this section dedicated to Motovun-Montona’s heritage you may note the permament virtual “Slow Travel Exhibition” of selected families and events worth visiting... you will find recommended accommodations, restaurants, wine and olive oil to taste, event to attend... :)
MOTOVUN – VIRTUAL TOUR
There are several roads that can bring you to Motovun. One is the old road that arrives from Pazin, the other one is the road that goes from Buje to Buzet and the last one is the road from Oprtalj. From each part the arrival to Motovun and the views towards the old town are charming and beautiful.
You can arrive with the car almost near to the cemetery Church of St. Margareth from 1818. When you have parked your car you can start the visit of Motovun by walking through the old Gradisiol street, today Stefania Beletica. This is an old street but in reality is the newest part of the town.
If you take a look above, towards the hilltop, you will note the bell tower of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Servants that dates back into 1585. This road is few hundred meters long and you can enjoy the beauty of some houses that have preserved coat of arms on their façades and also the stone made street make this street and all Motovun streets special and particular.
You can also enjoy the views towards the very top of the hill. This is the oldest part of the town surrounded by well kept walls from the 13th and 14th century which in certain places are fortified with square defence towers.
Few meters from there you will note the new gates tower that dates back probably into the 11th century and the current look have obtained in 1445. In 1607 this gates were restructured and they are the most important town gates. Six coat of arms are displayed on the façade and a big stone made Venetian Lion of St. Mark is placed on the top of them.